The great poet of Yemen, Dr. Abdulaziz Al-Maqaleh, passed away on Monday in Sana’a at the age of eighty-five years.
With the departure of the poet al-Maqaleh, Yemen loses one of its most important poets and great critics, and one of its noblest sons and its truest free fighters.
With his departure, Yemen lost a great name from its creators, who wrote the name of Yemen in letters of light, so that his departure represents a heavy loss, not for Yemen, but for the world and human poetry.
Over the course of his experience, Dr. Abdulaziz Al-Maqaleh was represented as a daring patriotic fighter and a great poet. He dealt with the poem for more than fifty years, giving it, the flower of his life and it gave him its fragrance. He was also a fervent critic and writer honest with man, the country and the cause, so his life was a tree brimming with creativity, struggle and honesty from Allah, the homeland, the revolution, the republic and unity.
Abdulaziz Al-Maqaleh – Biography:
- He was born in 1937 AD, Al-Maqaleh village, Ibb Governorate.
- He obtained a university degree in 1970.
- He obtained a master’s degree from the Faculty of Arts at Ain Shams University in 1973.
- He obtained his Ph.D. from Ain Shams University in 1977.
- Professor of Literature and Modern Criticism at the Faculty of Arts – Sana’a University. (Professorship degree in 1987 AD).
- President of Sana’a University from 1982-2001.
- Head of the Yemeni Studies and Research Center – until his death.
- Member of the Language Academy – Cairo.
- Member of the Linguistic Academy – Damascus.
- Member of the Board of Trustees of the Center for Arab Unity Studies – Beirut.
- Received the (Lotus) award in 1986 AD.
- Received the Medal of Arts and Letters – Aden 1980.
- Received the Medal of Arts and Letters – Sana’a 1982.
- Received the Arab Culture Prize, UNESCO, Paris 2002.
- Received the (Knight) Prize of the first degree in literature and arts from the French government, 2003.
- Received the Arab Culture Award from the Arab Organization for Education, Culture and Science, 2004
Many literary works of Dr. Abdulaziz Al-Maqaleh have been published, as well as other studies, research, letters and theses.